Import/Export Tools to Create or Edit a Rolodex
Passare Users with permission to manage the administrative Rolodex page can use the import and export tools to create and/or edit their organization’s Rolodex.
Using these tools, a User can add new contacts, edit existing contacts, or build a Rolodex from the ground up, without opening or creating one contact at a time.
To do so, the User must use a properly formatted CSV (comma separated value) file. This is a simple spreadsheet file that can be opened in Excel or similar software programs.
The process of managing the Rolodex with imported CSV files is simple but precise, which makes this feature part of Passare’s advanced toolset; however, administrators familiar with spreadsheets will find that it’s easy to learn by following few basic rules.
The following Application Note outlines some best practices along with some basic how-to’s for managing the Rolodex while using the import/export tools. We recommend consulting with your Account Success Manager for additional guidance and training.
- Access the Rolodex from the Admin menu: click “Admin,” then “Rolodex” from any page in Passare
- Click the icon for “download” at the top right corner of the Rolodex page (see image above)
- Save the downloaded CSV file to your preferred location on your desktop
- Open the document, and make edits only to the cells. Do not change the names of columns (i.e., the “Header”)
- Save your changes, being sure to keep the .csv file type
- Click the “Upload” icon on at the upper right hand corner of the Administrative Rolodex page
- To edit existing contacts only: check the “Update the Current Rolodex” box
- If you do not check this box, your existing contacts will be duplicated
- To add new contacts only: leave the box unchecked
- To do both: check the “Update the Current Rolodex” box
Tips and Tricks:
- Use the “Filter Contacts” button to select just one category of contacts to export and update at a time
- Save tabs for categories that you have to update most frequently
- When adding new contacts: download a CSV for the category you want to add contacts to; this way, you’ll have a pre-formatted CSV with a header
- Make sure you follow the formatting of the sample you download from Passare: “TRUE” and “FALSE” should always be in all caps, for example
- The Contact will be created exactly as you specify in the spreadsheet, including capitalization and punctuation
Who do I call if I have questions?
Contact with any questions about this feature, or call the toll-free support number: 1-800-692-5111.